Monday, July 15, 2019

Comfortably numb...

15 July 2019: Sitting here about 3 hours post-filling at the dentist. My bottom lip is still pretty numb (at least 50% of it), which is strange, as always. But I've also been thinking about how cool my dentist is: smart, funny, kind, and just all-around wonderful. We've been through a lot together, so to speak, especially in the summer of 2014, when he was especially kind when Ryan died and my teeth-grinding/jaw-clenching came to a kind of tipping point.

During that summer five years ago, his daughter, freshly graduated from college and about to start dental school, sat in on an appointment. Today, she's the newest dentist at the practice. He and I talked about that today. "I remember thinking," I told him, "'Boy, she's got a long road in front of her.' Yet now, here she is! That's how time works, I guess." He rolled his eyes, laughed, and agreed.

And so it goes...

No comments: