Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Things you overhear: Part II

Remember this post from a couple of months ago? Maybe I should make it a series. Every day I hear at least one thing that makes me laugh or grimace. Here's a real gem I overheard today:

Female College Student #1: (Loudly, not not angrily) "I did not sleep with him."
Female College Student #2: (Equally loudly, but pretty casually) "I wasn't even going to imply that."
Female College Student #1: (Again, casually) "Oh, that was totally the next question coming from you."

Hmmm...remember back when we used to be private about these kinds of matters? (And not shouting about them as we walked past faculty members' doors?)

For the record, I am also a fan of (and partially inspired by) two blogs that are entirely made up of overheard conversations: Overheard in New York and Overheard in the Office.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

hee hee...

do you have any creative writing classes this year?? it would be so much fun to come up with a list of those sort of things and randomly assign them to each student and have them come up with a story for each one. I would totally dig that kind of assignment (like when I got to write and epic poem about Super Vern of the Golden Chemisty Goggles for Dr. Turpin!)

Heidi said...

I have done those sorts of assignments before--they can be fun. I don't teach creative writing classes, but I do teach freshman-level composition classes where those kind of prompts can work really well.

It's a lot of fun to have students "collect" the overheard snippets, then bring them in, and then exchange them with one another.

And I love Dr. Turpin. She was one of the coolest profs I had at Roanoke.