Thursday, October 15, 2009

Portfolio: done!

For those of you keeping score at home, check another item off my huge Fall 2009 semester to-do list. This morning I handed in my pre-tenure review portfolio (also known as "third-year review portfolio").

It actually was a pretty easy process--time-consuming, I suppose, but not all that difficult since I've been saving and organizing all the materials from day one here at Shepherd. (That's a piece of advice to all my friends who are also in new academic jobs--be pack-rats! Save thank-you notes and emails, fliers with your name on them, write-ups in local papers, etc.)

Incidentally, I think part of the reason the process was relatively pain-free is because at UNCG, we were encouraged to create and constantly update our teaching portfolios. The pre-tenure portfolio is a lot like a teaching portfolio, but with sections about your scholarship and service, as well. Anyway, just another reason I am glad to have gotten my degrees at UNCG.

Now...back to work on that SSAWW paper!

Also, someone please explain to me why in the last week or so I agreed to A) serve as a reader for a manuscript submitted to a journal (I can't say which journal) and B) write two introductory essays for an anthology? I might never get out of this hole...but that's okay.

2 comments:

jackie said...

Congrats, Heidi!

We have annual P&T review here, so I just turned in my 7th (and final, me hopes) file earlier this month. It is time-consuming, but also sort of nice to reflect upon everything you've done.

I also have said yes too often this semester. When you dig out, send someone in for me :)

Heidi said...

Thanks, Jackie. I should probably note that I have modeled every portfolio I've ever done off of the teaching portfolio you showed me when we were both at UNCG. You see, I *still* want to be you when I grow up.