Sunday, July 19, 2009

Countdown to Closing

So I am about ten days from closing, which means there is lots of packing going on here. Sometimes packing is all I can think about. I lie in bed at night and think, "Now which kind of box would work best for the spice rack?" And then there are all the other calculations (complicated by my disdain for living in a disordered space or half-packed): When do you take the pictures off the walls? (That happened today.) When do you pack the DVDs? (Not yet.)

Lately, of course, I am obsessed with boxes--finding them, stacking them, getting the most out of every inch of them. I've got them stashed strategically around the apartment. There's a fairly decent sized stack upstairs in the bedroom and I headed up there today to get one for some kitchen stuff (a few odd bowls, some mugs, etc.) I needed one that wasn't too small, wasn't too big, one that was nice and sturdy. And I knew just the perfect one...only one problem...


It was occupied. Lately, this box in particular has been Bing's spot. He sleeps there all the time. Originally, it was actually sitting with its opening on top and he would jump in that way. I almost jumped across the room the first time I found him in there. Somehow, he flipped it and has been sitting, like a "Bing Diarama" ever since. (They've always loved moving boxes for this reason.)


It's worth noting that this box is the highest box on the highest stack of boxes in the room. (This would have been more obvious earlier in the week, before the rest of the boxes started getting used.) And of course it is--this cat enjoys looking down on the rest of us.

The big question, of course, is how long I continue to let Bing occupy such a desirable and useful box. I've asked a couple of friends who are firmly in the "don't you take his box away from him!" camp.

I tried to talk the matter over with him today...and you can see how quickly I crumbled.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I, too, am in the "don't you dare take his box away from him!" camp. However, I would like to point out that if you can be sneaky & get it away sometime when he's not there, you can substitute another box. I'm sure he'll be just as happy. (Holly & Dudley LOVE boxes from Costco. They currently have a makeshift kitty apartment complex constructed from a group of giant boxes. It's pretty great!)

AMT said...

He is so pretty! He looks like a lion.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the compliment, Amber. I'll pass it onto Bing. :)

And thanks for the suggestion about how to handle our stand-off over the box, Kate. I'll leave it for him until the last minute, unless I find a suitable substitute.

And I might have to enlist you to make an apartment complex for Bing and Wes!