Thursday, February 25, 2021

LBC showing its age

25 February 2021: My beloved Mazda, "Little Blue Car" (LBC for short), is starting to show its age. To be clear, I haven't spent much money on it at all--over 12 years and 160K miles. But today, I had to take it in because the driver's side window wouldn't go all the way up. And a working driver's side window is pretty important in general and even more important in a pandemic, when so many things are better done via drive-through. When I got to the dealer (always my first choice for repairs), one of my favorite former students was working today, a wonderful bonus (we got to catch up and talk about her new baby). 

As I anticipated, it will cost about $300 to fix. How can I not do it, even if I am pretty sure I'll be getting a new car soon-ish? Just feeling lucky that I have the money. As with so much lately, I am continually reminded of my privilege. 

Anyway, they got the window up, ordered the part, and I'll bring it back on Tuesday morning for the repair. Not too bad. And I still managed to make it to all three of my meetings on a day that got coopted by an unexpected car-repair trip to Hagerstown. Again, feeling blessed, but as I said to Hannah via text earlier, in a non-hashtag, unironic way. 

No comments: