Friday, June 26, 2020

Here For It

26 June 2020: I have been portioning out chapters of R. Eric Thomas's Here For It like delicious treats. It's hard to think of another book in which I've written "ha!" (my annotations are pretty simple) so many times or one that has made me put a star (again, I keep it simple folks) or some double lines for emphasis right after those "ha!" marks. The book is hilarious, smart, moving, and so welcome for times like these. *gestures broadly at everything*

Settled down and made my way through a few more chapters tonight, not long after catching up with some beloved grad school friends on Zoom. This section, where he talks about having brunch with a friend in Spring 2017 (when things were so very bad politically, but wow...we had no idea) and deciding they were going to try to find moments of joy, feels so important to me tonight: "We are fighting against nihilism itself. We are fighting to care. What makes you happy or sad or brings you joy or makes you feel anything at all--it matters."

No comments: