Friday, August 9, 2019

Wrapping up in MA...

9 August 2019: “O very dear friend, life is a gift, blessed as it is awful! To think how close we are to another’s for good or evil, do what we will! We cannot be apart from our fellow beings…” --Lucy Larcom to John Greenleaf Whittier, 25 December 1881

I wrapped up my research at Wheaton this afternoon and am heading back home in the morning. I think I've gotten some good stuff for my project, whatever that ends up being/looking like.

Apart from what I might write about her work as a teacher, I am grateful for little glimpses of who she was, like the one above. She struggled to make sense of her world, her life, and her role in it. She suffered and felt pain (physical and all the other kinds, too). But she believed in the value of love and work and connection. I find that inspiring.

No comments: