Monday, May 13, 2019

Letter writing...

13 May 2019: Requests for letters of recommendation sometimes pile up. They aren't fun to do, even for the best students. And the ones I really care about--that are for something big for a student who I am really pulling for--they sometimes mean I need to wait until I have a big block of mental space to work on them. Given what I wrote about this year's graduating class (how many of them I will miss so much, how many are exceptional and unforgettable), you might anticipate that the requests have been plentiful and have been the kind that I really want to get right.

Finishing a decent draft for one of those students (like I did just a little while ago) feels great. Moreover, working on it made me go back and look at her work for me over her time at Shepherd. And it's so cool to see how these papers and projects really do reflect who she is and what makes her so amazing. And it made me so determined to help her get what she wants (in this case, to go to graduate school for a Master of Social Work).

So yeah...another example of how doing this job reminds you why you do it and why it matters.



No comments: