Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Father's Day Weekend

This past weekend, I drove up to NY to see the family. I figured it would be good to see my folks, since my mom is still recovering from being sick, my dad is still dealing with some health issues, and of course, because it was almost Father's Day.

I left WV on Friday morning and got to my sister Tara's by early afternoon. While she did some grocery shopping, the kids and I hit the pool and spent almost two hours swimming. It was a blast!


Colin in his tube. Eventually, he let it go and did some real swimming.


Olivia swimming.


Colin and Olivia.


Eventually, I had to drag them out of the pool because their teeth were chattering. Olivia gave up first, asked me to wrap her in a towel, and then curled up on this chair in the sun (at my suggestion.) Then her brother followed suit (these kids are always copying each other.) I thought this was pretty funny and I called them little burrito babies.


Another shot of the oh-so-dramatic burrito babies. They really are drama queens--always hamming it up.

The next evening, we had a cook-out at my parents' house for Father's Day (a bit early since I had to leave on Sunday afternoon to get back to WV.)


Aidan getting in the pool. (Colin is behind him--I feel the need to explain that so you don't think he's a many-armed Hindu deity or something.)


One of the things I really got a kick out of seeing was how Aidan and Colin (who are about nine months apart) are buddies now. They weren't always. In the beginning, Colin saw Aidan as a kind of rival for my dad's affection or he was more or less disinterested in him. Now, though, they love spending time together, as this shot of them on the ladder illustrates.


My dad and Olivia.


Looking at the camera this time.


Yay for cupcakes! Seriously, they inhaled these things.


Uncle Ryan and the kids.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

is your dad wearing a Shepherd University hat??? if so... totally cute!!

Heidi said...

He sure is. And, although you can't tell, after they got out of the pool at my parents' house, both Colin and Olivia put on little Shepherd Rams t-shirts. My family shows lots of enthusiasm for the schools we teach at/attend.

Shannon said...

That is totally awesome! I love the Hanrahan's!