Monday, October 30, 2017

Jonah...

30 October 2017: “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.” --Jonah 4: 2-3

We talked about the book of Jonah in the "Bible as Lit" class today and, as a student read them out loud, I found myself especially interested in these lines from near the book's conclusion. Here Jonah is angry that God has been merciful to the people of Ninevah. It's an astounding moment, a late-in-the-text revelation of just why Jonah (maybe) ran away at the start of the book.

On reflection, it's worth thinking about times I have felt this way--angry about good things happening to people who don't seem to deserve it. God's response--basically asking Jonah "who do you think you are?--is a nice reminder to be humble and grateful for anyone who receives grace. Lord knows I am more blessed than I deserve.

No comments: