Tuesday, August 26, 2008

And one not-so-dreamy student...

Okay--one not-so-good (but pretty darn funny) story. A student comes to my office hours yesterday, agitated and a bit out of breath. (Anyone else notice that? How often students appear out of breath at your door, as if they ran to get there?)

"Are our papers due tomorrow?" he asked.

"No," I explained. "They aren't due until September 11, like we talked about in class. You do have a topic due, but not until Thursday."

"Oh man. I thought the whole thing was due tomorrow. I'm almost done with it!" (This happens a lot when students get deadlines wrong. They seem downright disappointed--almost angry--when they are actually ahead on their work.)

"Well, that's okay," I said. "This just means you've got a head start. Lots of time to work on it and revise. What are you writing about?" (They have four general topics to choose from and a bunch of stories to choose from as well.)

And--I am not making this up--he was completely unable to explain his topic. Lots of "uhs" and such. "And I just bought my book earlier today," he added.

Wouldn't you just love to see this paper he had been hard at work on? The one he thought he had to hand in the next day? Sadly, lots of students turn in those kinds of papers. Ugh.

No comments: