Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Toys!

Back in June when I was forced to empty my old room of all my old stuff* (including that note I posted about earlier), I also found a stash of old toys that I had been saving. Once I got back to WV, I went through them and found some real gems (at least, according to me).

First up, a little squirrel named Milkweed from the Woodsey's, one of my favorite toy sets. I remember getting this on Christmas Eve when I was about five or so.


Check out this link for more information on this really charming toy. Right now, I am not sure what happened to Mama and Papa Woodsey, their house, the book, or their furniture, but at least I still have this little guy.

Next, a big old assortment of Star Wars stuff--little vehicles and accessories, including this big old guy...




A big collection of Star Wars figures--these are just a few that I picked out for the picture. Especially impressive is the Emperor. I remember this being a limited edition figure that my brother Ryan sent away for. (Lots of these toys were originally my brothers'--that kind of stuff happens when you are one of five kids.)


A Gremlin! Scary! I remember my 7th birthday was a Gremlins birthday, with lots of Gremlin-themed gifts. I got an adorable stuffed Gizmo, who, sadly, my mother threw out (!!!) when she purged some things from the attic that she had previously told me was safe. This scary dude, though, has managed to endure.

When I was five or six, my parents and I were in a store and I found $5 on the floor. My parents told me that I could keep it after we turned it in at customer service and waited to see if anyone claimed it. (Incidentally, that was some good parenting, right? I can remember them telling me, "This could be some old lady's last $5 and she needs it for food." How many parents would just let their kid keep the money? And I never had cash when I was a kid, so $5 was a ton of money to me.) After three days, the store called and said no one had claimed it, so I got to spend it on whatever I wanted. One of the things I got was this action figure. (Yes, I was tomboy.)


Recognize him? It's Toht, from Raiders of the Lost Ark. He's the Nazi guy who burned his hand on the amulet.


Close up of the burned hand.


I also found this little horse. I remember always liking him. If you look closely, you can see a button under his saddle-bag. Pressing that button makes him gallop!

Sadly, GI Joes don't seem to age well. The little elastics that hold them together break over time. Check out these casualties.


Poor Doc broke right in my hands!

Ahhh--to be a kid again.

While we are on the subject of toys, check out this awesome post on the LEGO vault. (Yes, I love LEGOS!)

*For the record, there is a collection of more of my old toys in the basement of my parents' house--I need to go through that soon, before it all gets tossed.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Great Toys! I recently got out all my cabbage patch kids to give to little Gracie, next door. They were in much sadder shape then I remember from boxing them up... I guess the nostalgia is gone since I wont be having any kids to pass them on to! who knows... they have a good home now.

ok... but the real find was the Alf puppet that was tucked in the box with the cabbage patch kids. Complete with a Hawaiian shirt! I showed it to my mom when she was in town and she remember always referring to him as "Arf" instead of "Alf"... I guess she has been mispronouncing things for a long time. ....which makes me wonder how her trip to the doc went!?!?!

Shannon said...

p.s. what 5 or 6 year old little kid buys a Nazi figurine??? Heidi... you never cease to amaze me!!

AMT said...

Cool toys! Have you looked up their value on e-Bay? I'm thinking those figurines might be worth something!

Shan--I had a couple of Alf puppets that came from Burger King. They came with little records that played Alf singing some kind of song. I wonder if your Alf was from BK, too.

Shannon said...

you know... I almost said that I thought he was Burger King or another fast food joint, but I couldn't remember for sure. He looked too big for a happy meal toy. You have a much better memory than me, I can vaguely remember a little album....

hmmm....

Heidi said...

Shan, your mom is a hoot! Your stories crack me up.

Yeah, I thought about the Nazi figure a lot when I wrote that post, but Indiana Jones was a big deal--even the bad guys from the movie.

Amber: I am not sure if they are worth anything. They don't have any of their accessories or stuff, but you never know.