Thursday, July 17, 2008

"The other victims of foreclosure"

A depressing story from CBS's early show--people turning their pets over to shelters after they lose their homes. I remember hearing Ben Stein talk about this a couple of months ago on Sunday Morning, except unlike this story's headline, he referred to the pets as the truly innocent victims of this whole mess (with the exception, I am sure, of the kids whose parents took out these mortgages they couldn't afford). Here's the video of that comment. I really love his ideas about tax breaks and federal aid for shelters and people who adopt shelter pets--that's something I can stomach a lot more than government (translation: taxpayer) bail-outs for irresponsibility.

Want to help? You can always donate to two of my favorite charities: the ASPCA or the Humane Society. In fact, here's another little plug: if you are stuck for an idea for a birthday gift (or any gift) for an animal lover, consider making a donation in honor of that person at the ASPCA. You can also do it in memory of a loved one (human or animal). It's a lovely gesture that I've made a few times for friends and family, and they always appreciate it, certainly more than any old something you can find at a store and throw in the mail.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Also consider going to www.theanimalrescuesite.com and clicking on the "click to give" button. You can do this each day, and site sponsors donate money for food & medicine for rescued animals.

Thank you for the post, Heidi! It's good to know I'm not the only one with a soft spot for our furry friends.

Heidi said...

Absolutely, Kate! I've had the animal rescue site in my links column from the start. It's a very easy way to help out.