Friday, February 9, 2024

Off in Korea...

9 February 2024: Spent some time today talking with a student who is worried about her brother...who is an alcoholic...who is drinking again...and is in the army...and is deployed...in Korea. 

I didn't ask for or press for this information; she brought it up in connection with a topic she might write about. I told her I was sorry to hear she was going through this--and that he was. The conversation moved on. 

I am glad I didn't say too much about Ryan because his bad outcome shouldn't be on this kid's mind. I did say, "He always said there was nothing to do over there but drink and lift weights." She agreed with me so fast--"that's what he says, too"--that it almost took my breath away. 

It's nearly 30 years since my brother was there, going through what this guy is going through. And this student is just a bit younger than I was then. The similarities probably end there, but my goodness. 

No comments: