Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Cap decorating

3 May 2022: For the first time since December 2019, I had a group of students come over for a social event. This was just a small group--a handful of our graduating seniors getting together to decorate their graduation caps. It was really lovely, especially since I am so fond of this cohort.

I couldn't (and can't) help thinking about this group of graduates and the world we are handing them, especially given last night's Roe v. Wade news. Strong, smart, and decent women who might not have control of their own bodies. Attacks on queer people, including children. Systemic racism and so many denying it. A broken economic system. A planet on the verge of climate catastrophe. It's too much. It's so much to think about that I literally stopped on my walk this morning to just...stand there for a moment.  

They didn't seem all that discouraged this evening, but I also didn't push them on it. Let them decorate their caps and get through Saturday. 

No comments: