Tuesday, April 10, 2018

More Oscar Wao appreciation...

10 April 2018: "I know I've thrown a lot of fantasy and sci-fi into the mix but this is supposed to be a true account of the Brief Wondrous Life of Osacar Wao. Can't we believe that an Ybón can exist and that a brother like Oscar might be due a little luck after twenty-three years?" --Junot Díaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Two posts in a row on this book, I know...and I know it's not a big swing--this book is awesome and everyone knows it. But every time I get to the ending, I just cry and smile and swoon and all that. And every time I read the passage above, I nod my head in agreement with what I wrote in the margins on my first read: "Yes." Yes, we can believe it, no matter how foolish it might be, no matter how much the world tries to tell us otherwise.

No comments: