Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cheaters!

If I get lots of my "real work" done today, I will reward myself with some catch-up blogging. Since I am (so far) ahead of schedule (with 20 minutes to kill before class starts), I thought I'd link to some sites I've had sitting in my bookmark folder...this morning's theme: Plagiarism and Cheating!

1) Have you seen or heard about this story? It's pretty surprising, but this graphic is absolutely astounding. I don't see how this guy can get away with it.

2) Then there's this...I am really hoping it's a joke or something.

3) And then there's an article from Insidehighered.com about a website which offers to corrupt students' files for them so they can get extra time. Doesn't that seem like a lot of effort? Like effort a student can use to actually write a paper? (Such is the case with lots of plagiarism...) Incidentally, if a teacher tells a student the he/she won't accept online submissions, then this isn't a problem. If the teacher wants to accept them or has to accept them, can't that teacher say that a satisfactory online submission must include a file that works? This whole scheme seems pretty stupid.

2 comments:

AMT said...

1. That is horrifying.

2. That might even be more horrifying. Heaven forbid someone actually do his/her own work towards getting a Ph.D.

3. That just seems stupid. I agree with you; I would just tell students that they better make sure the file works, because if the file is corrupted it will be assumed the assignment is late and it will be treated accordingly. Maybe I would just be a mean professor that everyone hates! I was pretty hard on my first graders. Ha, ha.

Kate said...

Wow. Just wow.