Thursday, December 18, 2008

How in the world did I get a job?

The title of this post is a question I find myself asking the universe every once in a while. This is usually followed by some quick prayers of thanksgiving for the job I have.

Anyway, insidehighered.com, which has been nothing but bad news lately for English folks, has given us two weeks of disturbing stories in a row:

1) The Adjunctification of English

2) Disappearing Jobs

The sobering news: total job listings down by 21%. And only 7.3% of total jobs were in American literature? Gulp.

2 comments:

Someday PhD said...

Please don't remind me. I've been trying to avoid all those articles.

Heidi said...

Ahh, but you, Someday Phd, will be the exception. I have no doubt about that. Plus, the rhet/comp numbers are relatively strong (especially compared to American lit).