Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday morning milestone...

My old car reached a pretty impressive number this morning on the way to work.



I've only had three cars that I called my own: a 1999 Chevy Prism, a 2002 Saturn SL1, and this car, a 1996 Nissan Maxima. I had a sentimental attachment to the Chevy for all the obvious reasons--it was the first car that was mine and I got it right after college when I moved to Greensboro and set out on my own (cue "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks). The Saturn was a fine car, although I can't say I missed it too much when I turned it back in (it was a lease). This Maxima is a hand-me-down car. First, it was my brother-in-law's. It was the first brand-new car he ever owned and he took great care of it. Then it was my dad's for a year or two, and now it's mine.

For the record, I love this car. I've had to put a fair amount of money into it, but what can you expect at this point? Otherwise, it's comfortable, it drives really well, and still looks great. Plus, it has some cool features none of my other cars had, like a sun-roof and seat warmers. (Admittedly, I don't get that excited about seat warmers, but I know lots of people--like Shannon--do).

Anyway, happy 180,000 miles to my car! To celebrate, this afternoon, we're getting an oil change.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh... I really do love seat warmers! I'm still mad at you for not letting me know your car had them sooner!!

I think seat warmers are going to be the main request for my next car (and the whole no trunk thing too!).

AMT said...

Congratulations!! It's moments like these that make me wish my odometer still worked, but not enough to shell out the bucks to pay to have it fixed. I do think that my car is right around 175,000-180,000 but that is just an estimate, of course.

Did you pull over to the side of the road to take that picture? I think the picture is awesome.

I do have a small car milestone of my own. A couple of weeks ago, for the first time ever, on the way to work, the Official Volvo Outdoor Temperature reached 0 degrees Fahrenheit! Mike and I did a countdown as the thermometer dropped. After I dropped him off at the university the temperature went up a bit, so by the time I got to the church it was 4 degrees, but it was at zero for a good 10 minutes. (BTW, that was without windchill. That was just the air temp.)

I am very thankful that my car has the optional Winter Care Package that includes seat warmers. I love my seat warmers. I bought Mike some heated car cushions because his car doesn't have heated seats. You could try these, Shan, if you really want heated seats. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

AMT said...

OK, I took a look at this picture again. Did you take it while going 50 MPH??? Aren't you the person who gets upsent when people drive and talk on the phone? Hmmmm... I guess an occasion as great as this warranted some death-defying driving actions!

Heidi said...

In my defense, there was no one else on the road at the time--if there had been, I would have pulled over--I promise!

Tara said...

I have to tell Jeff that the Maxi reached the big 180,000. He will be so happy to hear his baby is still going strong. I have this strange, slightly guilty feeling that we should have baked a cake for the occasion. Oh, and you left me off the list of the Maxi's former owners. Not that I am insulted or anything, but I did drive her for almost a year and took very good care of her that whole time. Don't worry though, I am not offended that you neglected to mention me--not in the least. Really.