Saturday, May 12, 2018

Dipping my toe into the virtual lake...

12 May 2018: Over this past week, I have been completing Shepherd's online teaching certification course, basically the class you have to take to be allowed to teach online. I have about zero interest in teaching online during the regular semester, almost entirely because so much of my teaching is discussion-based and I just can't think of how I could make the adjustment. (This is actually more a criticism of myself than of teaching online.) But for summer classes, which I have struggled a bit to fill recently, it might make sense to at least try it. Like the little kid refusing to eat broccoli, I need to try it before I dismiss it. So I am taking the class which more or less concludes today.

I can see lots of potential (and work!) if someone wanted to do this right. And it's been kind of fun (sort of?) playing around with some of the tools out there.

Here's one example. I know it's boring and the sound is terrible (long story), but I think it's kind of cool.


No comments: