Wednesday, February 28, 2018

"two people..."

28 February 2018: "What I know is I feel like I am two people. One wants nothing more than to be clean. And one wants to dial up a dealer." --Louise Valentine, a speaker at a panel that I attended tonight on campus entitled "Intervention & Addiction – An Ethics Dialogue."

The entire panel was terrific: interesting and important. But I could have listened to Ms. Valentine, who works with harm-reduction programs for addicts/users, talk about her work and her own experiences for hours.

Of course, whenever I attend any event like this, Ryan is always on my mind and tonight was no exception. He's been on my mind more than usual today; earlier in the day, I brought him up in class as we finished our discussion of The Awakening and Edna's suicide. Having him on my mind these days isn't necessarily happy or sad...it just depends. Today, I guess, the memories and motivations for thinking about him were more sad than happy, but that's okay.

No comments: