Friday, April 7, 2017

When you feel a bit unnecessary...in a good way...

7 April 2017: "I'm not ready to leave yet!" --a student in my ENGL 301 today. They were working on their final annotated bibliographies. These are massive, semester-long projects--real badges of honor for students once they are completed. I set aside this day of class for them to bring all their stuff (sources, drafts, revisions, laptops) and just work, asking me for help as needed.

And then--to my delight--they really didn't need me that much. They worked diligently on their own and--unprompted--with each other. It was kind of amazing to listen to them talk out questions and issues, offer advice, and help each other out. They hit their grooves and were working so hard that I had to prompt them to leave the room.

I was about to write that I'll miss this group, but then I remembered that I will see most of them in other classes next semester or in the semesters to come. They are a special bunch.

No comments: