Monday, July 25, 2016

The Problem with the Solution

25 July 2016: As the heat wave continues, I went out early today to get my walk in. I listened to the "The Problem with the Solution" episode of Invisibilia and found myself weeping at the end, when Lulu Miller's father regrets an early episode of anger towards his mentally-ill child. The larger point being made: perhaps the best way to treat certain mentally ill people is to stop trying to cure them. And this has fascinating implications for the role of loved ones in a mentally ill person's treatment. Obviously, the entire episode, which explores a different approach to treating mental illness, deserves a listen. It will stay on my mind for some time. Today is the second anniversary of my brother's death, so it hit quite close to home, but in a good way, I think.

No comments: