Sunday, June 12, 2016

Pride

12 June 2016: Today's good thing is actually a memory. One year ago, my friend Amy had to go to the DC Pride Fest for a class she was taking. Another friend and I tagged along with her. It was an experience I will never forget--filled with love, community, and just lots of happy people. It made me proud to be there. Proud of my country and my community.

The thing is, for a large part of my life (much longer than I would like to admit) that's an event I would have associated with scorn or at best a "definitely not for me" attitude. I am so glad to have grown and changed from the person I was back then.

I was thinking about all of this even before today's awful, tragic, unfathomable news broke. Today, it's hard to feel anything other than pain and sadness, but I am so glad to have that memory of the good times last year, and to know that the LGBTQ community--so battled-tested, so strong, so noble--will endure and continue to spread a message of love and acceptance.

No comments: