Thursday, June 16, 2016

Breakthrough?

15 June 2016: Wednesday's good thing is a possible breakthrough in my relationship with BabyCat, aka Veronica. Here's the story: at least once a year, I get irrationally afraid that the cats have gotten fleas. Usually all it takes is me seeing each of them doing a bit of scratching. And that happened on Tuesday. First Wes, then Bing, then Veronica. I usually put Revolution on them anyway in the summer months and I had just stocked up when I had Bing at the vet, so I thought, "it's on!"

I managed to dose Bing and Wes on Tuesday night. Even though they are super friendly, the task is never easy. As soon as they get the idea of what I am going to do, they start squirming. It's especially difficult with Wesley and his long, thick hair. But I got it done. I went over them with the flea brush, too, and didn't find anything. (See above paragraph where I refer to the fear as "irrational.") I didn't have the energy to even think about getting Veronica and dosing her. It had to wait until Wednesday.

Wednesday rolled around and I armed myself with the Revolution (a fun phrase to type), the brush, and the laser pointer. I used the laser pointer to get her to run upstairs (she can't resist it). Then I tried to get her to chase it into the master bathroom or the office (where I could shut the door and trap her), but she is pretty smart. Though she couldn't resist the dot, she also knew what I was up to. She would dart into the room, then she me moving to the door, and dart out. This went on for a bit, but I finally got her trapped in the office. Then I got close enough to grab her and well...grabbed her.

Step one...the brushing--the search for evidence. Again, it turned up nothing. (Once again, see first paragraph and my use of the word "irrational. Ha!) But here's the thing: as soon as I started with that brush, Veronica relaxed and well, she loved it. I mean, eventually she took off (after step two, the dosing), but I haven't ever held her that long without her resisting.

Later that night, I took the brush out and showed it to her and darn it if she didn't run over and sniff it. Since then, she continues to show lots of interest in it, but hasn't let me brush her. I am telling you, that cat is smart and stubborn. But if I can get her to give in again, I think we might be onto something.

No comments: