Monday, January 4, 2016

Rejected pretzels

4 January 2016: Veronica, who still doesn't let me pet her or hold her unless she is absolutely compelled to do so, nevertheless always begs relentlessly for whatever I am eating. In the past, this has included not just traditionally-appealing-to-cats food like chicken or beef, but stuff you wouldn't expect like pretzels, potatoes, and even corn chips. When I really think about this, it makes me a bit sad, realizing that in her early days, she was desperate enough to eat just about anything. So it's cute, but also kind of a bummer.

So today, I was doing some reading, absentmindedly eating some pretzels and sharing small pieces with her, tossing them onto the carpet whenever her head would pop back up and her paw would reach out. About an hour later, when I got up, I saw this trail of pretzel bits on the ground. Apparently she begged (and kept begging), but has decided that she actually doesn't like pretzels, thank you very much.

Looks like she isn't that desperate anymore. And that makes me happy. It's today's good thing.

No comments: