Thursday, January 9, 2014

Academic Kindness

9 January 2014: A piece on Insidehighered.com today brings a great new blog to my attention: "Academic Kindness," where people post about acts of kindness they've benefited from in academia. Looking over the blog made me smile and I've bookmarked it. The site is a lovely and important project, I think. Over the course of my career as a student and teacher, I've encountered so much more kindness than unkindness, so much more charity than selfishness. It's great to concentrate on the good to correct the assumption that it's anomalous or rare.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. I think people in general are more kind than we give them credit for--nevertheless, I try to cherish each encounter with a patient who is pleasant and kind. It always makes my day worthwhile when I can experience human goodness and demonstrate my own, by way of helping my patients feel as comfortable and comforted as possible. You are one of the kindest people I know. :)

Heidi said...

Awww, thanks! I think you are right--people are more kind than we give them credit for. I also think a lot of kindness goes unmentioned--like people have kind thoughts or are thankful, but don't say it out loud. (You know, the idea that people send more letters of complaint than thank you notes, etc.) I am trying to be more deliberate in expressing kindness and thanks.