Saturday, June 23, 2012

Constance Fenimore Woolson on Louisa May Alcott

"What heroic, brave struggles. And what a splendid success" (qtd. in Gebhard 218).

I know I keep posting these "_____ on ______" entries, but I keep stumbling across great examples. It shouldn't surprise us that writers are so very good at witty and spot-on evaluations of their peers. This one strikes me as particularly poignant as Woolson, like Alcott, struggled with and wrote despite poor health, had long periods of self-doubt, and fought societal expectations about women-writers.

Alcott's grave marker in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. (Taken during my awesome vacation last summer)

Work Cited
Gebhard, Caroline. "Constance Fenimore Woolson Rewrites Bret Harte: The Sexual Politics of   Intertextuality." Critical Essays on Constance Fenimore Woolson. Ed. Cheryl B Torsney. New York: G.K. Hall, 1992. 217-23. Print.

No comments: