Friday, December 10, 2010

Good music always helps...

We are having some unexpected snow here this morning. It shouldn't amount to much, but the very fact that A) no one saw it coming and B) it is sticking is enough to get people excited, nervous, or both. I don't like it, as you can imagine. But here's one (small) comfort--I am not the only one with some minor PTSD from last year's historic snowfalls. Of the four students I've talked to so far, three are also not happy campers. This isn't normal--college students LOVE snow, especially during finals. Thanks to the Snowpocalypse, we are a damaged population here.

But, as I mentioned in my subject heading, music helps. I've got a Christmas mix going on my iPod which includes my current favorite holiday (non-religious) tune, which you can find here. Other favorites include this one and this one. I am going to stop myself here, though, as no one like a big old list of links...

Anyway, back to work I go. Happy grading to my academia-living friends!

4 comments:

AMT said...

Gladto hear you are hanging in there! I had PTSD our first winter in ON, then I had to get over it to survive. Now I feel like if it's not at least a foot of snow, it's not worth talking about. It's like, "What do you mean you're worried about ten inches? Shovel it and get on with your life!" That's what Canada will do to a person. I really want to get some snow here so Abigail and I can go play in it, but we haven't really gotten any.

Heidi said...

Hey Amber! I don't think I could take living in Canada, but I know we've already talked about that! :) The thing is, I grew up in NY, which isn't exactly light on snow (although it doesn't come close to what you had in Ontario!). The thing is (and I know this is an old complaint), in places like Canada and NY, they actually know how to move in the snow. Here, we were just stuck in our houses for a week. Ugh.

It also didn't help that two of our job candidates ended up getting snowed in for extra time--one for several days--last winter, and as the search chair, I felt responsible.

(This comment is turning into a therapy session. I've heard it's good to talk about your trauma, right?)

But I keep reminding myself that last year's snow was referred to as "historic" and "unprecedented" for a reason. It won't happen again. Right? Please? Ha.

Hope you and Abigail get some fun snow to play in!

AMT said...

I hope you're getting along well and Mother Nature is being kind. If it is anything like what Mom and Dad has had, it is really cold there. The end of the semester is not the time to have to worry about the weather! We have had sunny days in the '60s the last few days. It has been amazing! I'm not looking forward to giong to cold, snowy VA on Thusday.

AMT said...

Also, give me a call sometime when you need to take a break. I don't want to bother you when I know you're so busy, but I'd love to chat!