Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mike S. returns...

Remember about a year ago when I first posted about my elementary school boyfriend? Back then I promised more notes soon. You can see how well I kept that promise. Now, though, with the big move to my new house coming up in at the end of July, I really need to go through boxes and boxes of old notes. This evening I spent about an hour looking through letters, cards, and assorted documents from my last two years of college (more on those later!). Mixed in with them, though, were some classic Mike S. notes. Here they are for your enjoyment.



Transcription: "Dear Heidi, Just remember that we can write notes on the bus and give them to each other in school. Love Mike. P.S. I love you." He was very concerned with me writing to him--this is a recurrent theme in his notes.


Transcription: "Dear Heidi, Remember where my mailbox is? I wanted to ask you to the square dance but I'm not going and anyway, I can't dance. Love, Mike."

About the mailbox thing: if I remember correctly, he made this little paper mailbox just for notes from me that he hung on his desk. The square dance thing made me laugh, too. I guess he didn't know that I can't dance, either. If he still can't dance, maybe I should look him up!


The back of the above note--he must have really wanted me to write back! (He repeats it five times.) I think I played coy with him. Plus, I was painfully shy and even with a boy telling me he liked me, I was still reserved. And remember: this was a kid who got in trouble in school--and I never got in trouble. I think that scared me a bit about him.



This is the best one, in my opinion. Check out the Garfield notepad! Transcription: "Dear Heidi, I'll like you if you stop liking Chris. I kinda like you and Melanie. Guess what? My dad gave me permission to break this kids nose, because he keeps punching me and bothering me at boyscouts. I just figured I'd tell you. Boyfriends and girlfriends should never keep secrets. The reason why I am writing sloppy is because I'm writing on the bus. Love, Mike."

You know, Mike S. should write relationship books. Here, dear reader, is what would certainly be the quick version of his tips (based on the above note):

1) Be willing to compromise in a relationship. Tell the person you are interested in them that you'll really only be interested in him/her if he/she drops any interest in any other potential boyfriend/girlfriend.

2) Men--be sure to brag about your feats of strength and displays of machismo. Especially if your dad has given you permission to beat someone up. At boy scouts.

3) Remember--boyfriend and girlfriends shouldn't keep secrets.

Seriously--if he hadn't gotten kicked out of school for lewd conduct (in fourth grade--or was it fifth?), I might have married this guy.

3 comments:

AMT said...

Those are awesome. Poor kid seemed a bit insecure, though. You must have been some heartbreaker to make him desperately need you to write back like that!

Liz said...

Who the hell is Melanie? I don't think that was a good strategy on his part. He should keep it out of the book.

darogermatic said...

These are perhaps the coolest autobiographical archives I've read in a long time. You should write a short story using these puppies.