Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Movie recommendations from my students...

Today was only the second meeting of my MWF classes, so obviously, I am still in that desperate situation of trying to learn their names--and trying to get them to learn each others names. One of the ways I do this is by asking students interesting (I hope) questions as I take attendance: questions like "What is the best thing you read recently?" (this one works much better in a class of English majors than in a gen. ed. class, where you'll hear lots of "I don't like to read...") or "What song has to be on your ipod?" Today, I opted for "What is either A) the best or B) the worst movie you've seen recently?" I thought this would be easier than asking "What's your favorite movie?" a question students agonize over answering (which is kind of adorable).

Anyway, along with some expected recommendations on my must-see list (Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire), some of the folks in my ENGL 312 shared some pretty "out there." I immediately looked these three gems up online and might just have to pop one of them into the DVD player the next time I am hanging out with my siblings.

Here they are. You owe it to yourself to at least check out the trailers. (And yes, there's a common theme of zombies...)

1) Black Sheep. Hilariously, one student mentioned this as a movie he actually saw accidentally, having meant to rent this movie. Other students had seen it on purpose, though, and loved it--in the way that you "love something because it is so bad."

2. Poultrygeist. (Actually, if you are squeamish, you might skip the trailer on this one--it's pretty crazy!)

3. Fido. This one looks downright AWESOME.

No comments: