Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Writer's Rooms

I've been meaning to post a link to this story for months now. I've got about 5 minutes until I have to leave for class, and rather than use it for something super-productive, I finally think it's time for this post.

Anyway, here's a very cool piece about "Writer's Rooms" from the Guardian. Although I am not a creative writer, I do spend a lot of time reading and writing and also spend a lot of time imagining an ideal space to do this sort of work. What is most interesting to me about the featured spaces is how very ordinary they seem.



Above, for instance, is Seamus Heaney's writing room. As you look through these, you might, like me, be struck by the small touches of humanity that creep into the pictures. Hey--these writers are actual people with photos and knick knacks! (Something students still seem surprised to learn.) The only thing that isn't surprising is the clutter.



Although this is a kind of cheating answer, I like Jonathan Safran Foer's picture (of the NY Public Library), too. Some of my best writing has taken place in public spaces like this one--where I am simultaneously with lots of people, but in my own mental world.

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting read. Okay--now I should go teach! It's Faulkner day in English 204.

No comments: