Thursday, November 8, 2007

Shepherd Football Game

As I mentioned previously, my parents visited me a couple of weekends ago. We decided to check out a Shepherd football game since my dad loves the game, Shepherd's been doing really well lately, and I have a number of students who are on the team. It was a fun afternoon, especially since the Shepherd Rams beat the West Liberty Hilltoppers, 38-21.

Some photos from the day:


The field before the game started. We had had a lot of rain the week before--and you can already see where it's getting muddy. By the end of the first few plays, it was really getting torn up--and the players were filthy.


A pretty shot of the autumn trees surrounding the field.


The folks settling in for the game.


The cheerleaders doing some pre-game cheers. I have a couple of students who are cheerleaders, so it was fun to see them doing their thing. I do have to say, though, that those are some skimpy outfits they are wearing. I wouldn't like that if I were their mother. (Yikes--that makes me sound old.)


The Rams take the field.


Lined up and ready to go!


Action shot! See how muddy they are? (Especially the other team in their white uniforms!)


Action shot #2! (It was actually hard to get decent shots of things happening--because they happened so fast and because I had a hard time following the football.)


Rough stuff!


Here's a shot of one my students about to punt the ball.


I call this one "Muddy Action" because, well, they are all so muddy.


Touchdown! (You can tell because #52 looks so happy.)


I couldn't help myself, but these guys in the yellow shirts made me laugh. In my mind, I called them the "ball wipers," because, well...that's what they were. They ran up and down the field, wiping off the muddy balls. I hope they are well-paid.


The ram mascot visited the stands. I think he's just a bit scary. Apparently there is also an actual living-breathing ram named Livingston, but I haven't seen him yet.


Finally, I thought I'd include a couple of shots from the "Ram Band's" half-time show. This season they are featuring songs from Rent, which I thought was pretty cool. (A strange juxtaposition, though--a football game and a musical about young Bohemian artists! Gotta love the great combinations you get on college campuses!) I have a number of students in the band and in the Color Guard, so it was cool to see them doing their thing, too.


One last shot: this is our new President, Dr. Suzanne Shipley, doing the "Tango: Maureen" (from Rent) with a member of the Color Guard. Dr. Shipley had just been inaugurated the day before and the entire week celebrated that fact. I've only met Dr. Shipley a couple of times, but it seems like she'll make a great President for Shepherd.

All in all, the game was a lot of fun. As a faculty member, I have two free passes for every home game (for all the teams). I think I'll definitely take in more games. After all, basketball season is just starting!

11 comments:

AMT said...

Great pictures! I love the action shots. I am glad you explained that was the university president, because I was thinking, "Wow! That's a really old color guard member," and then I felt sort of age-ist. How was her tango? I think it's cool that she did that.

Your parents look really good. I cannot believe how much your dad looks like Christian in that photo. I see Ryan in him, too, but something about that photo really reminds me of Chris.

I looked at the cheerleaders and thought, "WHAT are they wearing?" and then I had to look at the picture full-sized to confirm it. I can't believe they go out like that!!! I don't care if that makes me sound old; they need to put some clothes on. Are their tummies not cold? I think I blame Britney Spears for this.

Whenever I see muddy sports teams I am always glad that I don't have to do their laundry. It must really suck having to get those uniforms white again.

And I agree, that is one creepy looking ram mascot. He looks to be part giraffe.

AMT said...

Wait! Now I have "The Tango Maureen" stuck in my head!! Arrrrrrrrgh!!!

Shannon said...

Wow... Those are definitely some muddy uniforms! I ditto Amber in that I am glad I don't have to do their laundry!

When I first saw the picture of your parents... I was like... Oh, theres Heidi's mom with one of the refs! Sorry Heidi's dad...

Heidi... you totally have to go hunt down the real Ram!! That is almost as cool as a college having a mummy on campus!

Heather said...

Ok, girls, it's official...we are all getting old. One of my first thoughts was that I am so glad I don't have to wash those uniforms. I also agree that the cheerleaders need uniforms that cover up more of their body.
I am glad that you had a fun time at the game, Heidi. We have ben meaning to go to a Harding game, but didn't make it to one this year. Oh well, there is always next year!

AMT said...

Wait! Who's college has a mummy on campus? What am I missing?

Shannon said...

Amber...

When Heidi was interviewing at various colleges I would try and look up interesting facts about each school. One of them (and I can't remember which one) had a mummy on campus!!! how cool is that! But, Heidi didn't get to see it when she was there (I know, I know...I was super bummed by that too).

If you ever need to know any interesting facts about Shepher University of Sheperdtown...just let me know (I may have to brush up on my facts a little... I am getting a little rusty!).

love,
shannon

Heidi said...

Westminster College in PA has a mummy. The funny thing was that the people there weren't all that excited about it. Strange, right?

You know, U of Richmond had a mummy, too. I never got to see that one, either.

AMT said...

Oh. Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more like the college's mascot was a mummy, but just having a mummy on campus is cool, too.

Shannon said...

Heidiiiiiiiiiiii.....

You never told me that U of R had a mummy tooo!!!!!!

I am almost mad at you! We could have gone on a great mummy finding adventure! I am super bummed out now.

Amber... the idea of a mummy as a mascot makes me chuckle!!

Heidi said...

I never mentioned that to you? I'm sorry--it lives in the classics department. Maybe we can go find it the next time I am in the Richmond area. We can have a mummy hunt!

john walton said...


You can also Contact Pogo Customer Support by Phone . If a Pogo Customer Service Representative is online and accessible for a chat, you will see a message to this result. If not, you will notice Quick Chat popup: Customer Support Agents are OFFLINE message, on the right side. You may then try and attend this page for Pogo Live Chat support.