Thursday, October 18, 2007

We'll miss you, Joe

Joe Torre has turned down an offer to return to manage the Yankees next year. I am a bit surprised by this exact turn of events--I didn't figure he would be back, but I didn't think he'd get an offer from Steinbrenner and company at all.

I think the world of Joe Torre. He seems like an excellent guy with classic NY roots and a great work ethic. He made the Yankees the most dominant team in baseball over the twelve years he managed the team. He brought home all of those World Series titles and helped players like Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera become Yankee icons.

But I also felt it was probably time for Torre to go. Let's face it--the team needs to shake things up. I am not saying their recent lack of play-off success is Torre's fault, but when things aren't working in an organization, you've got to make some changes. Besides, isn't it best for Torre to leave now, when most Yankee fans still love him like crazy?

Now, let's flash back to some happier times: that amazing World Series victory in 1996. I clearly remember watching the deciding game at my friend Robin's apartment. I know Amber was there, and I think Heather and Allison were, too. (Amber or Heather--does that sound right?) I also remember calling a certain fella I was hopelessly in love with for most of my college career under the guise of celebrating the win. (He would always tease me about my love for the Yankees.)

And there were so many memorable moments from the season and the game: Torre's brother recovering from a heart transplant, (another brother, Rocco, had died earlier in the year), his sister the nun getting her students to pray for the Yanks to win, Jim Leyritz with big hits in key spots (I always loved him and that distinctive bat twirl before he took a swing), Wade Boggs riding a horse around the stadium. Awesome stuff.



Another great Torre-era memory for me? A drive with my dad during the 1998 series. I was home in NY for Fall Break from Roanoke and we had gone over to Tara and Jeff's house (my sister and brother-in-law) to watch the early innings of Game One against the San Diego Padres. The Yankees were down 5-2 when we decided to head back to Rocky Point. As we drove down the dark stretch of Rocky Point/Yaphank Road and listening to the game on the radio, we didn't say much--we were both bummed out about the score.

Then Chuck Knoblauch came to the plate with two runners on and hit a three-run homer. Even today, clear as day, I remember my dad slowing the car down and giving me a high-five in celebration. Yes, it sounds like a cliche, but it really was a special moment for us. (It only got better when Tino Martinez, another one of my all-time favorites, hit a grand slam in that same inning.) Honestly, for me it was a magical moment. And that's what Torre's Yankees gave to so many fans for so many years--so many amazing moments.

For so many fans, Joe Torre was the heart of the Yankees during this recent great run (and I am including recent seasons: World Series wins or not--the Yankees are a dominant team). So, I'll miss him next season, even if it is time for him and the team to move on.

Here's a nice article SI.com has reposted about that 1996 series. Check out this one, too.

UPDATE: ESPN will rebroadcast four great Torre-era games, including two that I mentioned above. You can read about them here.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ok, I have to admit, I did not remember watching the game with you...until you mentioned the phone call. So, yes, I was there. I don't remember a thing about the game, but I clearly remember you making that phone call. What fun times we had!

AMT said...

How funny, Heather! I was going to say about the same thing. I was thinking,"Hmm...We were at Robin's for that win? I don't remember... Oh! The phone call! I totally remember that!"

I do remember the hard times Joe Torre faced with his own health, too. There were quite a few years there where the Yankees dominated conversation in our room through the baseball season. Thanks for the memories, Heidi.