Thursday, September 6, 2007

Write it down, you'll feel better...

I really believe in the words I've used for the title of this post. After all, I teach and study writing in lots of different forms and I am constantly telling my students how writing can change them, change their lives, and change the world. It's also a good way to just make a statement or let off steam.

I'm also a big fan of Found Magazine and the Book Inscriptions Project, two sites that collect the bits of writing we leave behind. So as you might imagine, I was really intrigued by the note I found stuck to the doorway in the hall near my office on campus.





Let me transcribe the words here: "To the individual who last Friday the 24th took my check book that I inadvertently left here as I was working in the station and then placed it on the park bench outside after taking all the cash--thank you! I don't need that money to feed myself, my dogs, my cats, my gas tank, do laundry, etc. And if you are in communications, Congratulations! You have a brilliant future at Fox News!"

Now I might not agree with the political sentiments of the last part of the note, but it did make me laugh. And by station, he/she meant the radio station, which is run right out of this building, too, quite close to my office. He/she is probably a communications major, too, so the idea of another communications major doing this is especially tough for the victim.

Anyway, the note intrigued me, and I say good for the writer for leaving it. I hope it made him/her feel better. And I hope the thief sees it and feels bad, although I doubt that will happen.

No comments: