Friday, September 7, 2007

How young is too young...

...for a lesson in American history from Dr. Tante Heidi? As soon as I spotted this statue of Thomas Jefferson sitting on a bench in Williamsburg, I ushered the kids over there and let them climb all over him.



I like this next one (despite the blurriness resulting from Colin being on the move) because of the way Olivia is looking at Jefferson. There's some great symbolism there: the kid born in another country looking at one of our founding fathers. She's too young to understand just how lucky she is to have gotten to come to the nation that Jefferson and his contemporaries built, but she'll know soon enough. That's also incredibly corny of me to note, but I can't help myself.



This next one cracks me up because Colin is patting Jefferson on the back. More symbolism, I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to read more of your list. It's not sad at all.

Randi said...

Wait a minute! I know Those Kids!!

Hi, Dr. Heidi!! Welcome to The Wonderful World of Blogging!

xoxo,
TDR

Shannon said...

Ok... So I was thinking about it. How worldly is it that two Russian born children call their American aunt (with strong Irish features and a strong Irish last name) by a German title?!?!?!

I think the UN would be proud, well...at least I am!

p.s. in true German tradition, it should be Tante Dr. Heidi...as we always had to call my german teacher in highschool...Frau Dr. VanDerBent.