Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jonesy!

Sundays tend to make me a bit homesick--for my Roanoke friends, my Greensboro friends, and, of course, my family back in New York. Spending yet another weekend grading papers only exacerbates this feeling. And yet, I have to wonder how people survived before relatively cheap long-distance phone calls and, of course, emails. After all, today we really aren't ever all that far from the people we care about. I can even talk to my friend Jane (all the way in Azerbaijan) for about $0.34 a minute (given the right phone card company).

Anyway, this is all a long set-up to the main purpose of this message--to use this (relatively) new means of communication to wish a happy birthday to one of my best friends, Dr. Rita Jones-Hyde, all the way in Massachusetts. I miss ya, Jonesy, and I hope you have a great day!

Here's a photo of Jonesy and I in our "nerd glasses" (as if we needed them) courtesy of Liz W., who bought them for me to celebrate my first tenure-track job and for Jonesy to celebrate her successful defense.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday Rita!!!