Thursday, August 9, 2007

Technical and emotional difficulties

Hey folks. I am sorry for not having updated in a bit, but first I was on vacation (it rocked--more posts about that soon), and then my laptop broke. Seriously--it's in critical condition. A repair guy picked it up today and said they should get back to me with some diagnostic info by Friday afternoon or Monday. The worst part is that I spent a large part of my vacation finishing my syllabi and other documents for next semester and didn't save them to my USB drive yet. (Stupid, I know).

And to make matters worse, just now I double-checked my book order for my ENG 101 classes--after I was told that the "standard department books" had been ordered for my class and that I could find all the relevant information on the department's website. So I plan two ENTIRE syllabi around THOSE books and now see that they've ordered a different book. I need to get to the bottom of that ASAP, but there isn't much I can do about it at 7:00 p.m. except sit on the verge of a breakdown. I mean, the semester starts soon and I thought I was done with these damn things. Ugh.

Plus, now that this vacation is over, I am finally feeling like I am here in my new home for real and to stay. I know that might sound crazy since I've been here since July 13, but all that time, this vacation was in the future and because I was going with a Greensboro friend and meeting up with another Greensboro friend while there, and because I was looking forward to it, I hadn't really felt totally "here" in West Virginia yet.

I am not sure if that makes sense, so I'll try to explain. Since the move, because I was waiting for this trip, I still felt connected to my Greensboro home and friends, who were only 3.5 hours away when I lived in Richmond so never really all that far. Plus, I had Shannon and Mike in Richmond, so I always had a couple of friendly faces there. Don't get me wrong--being here is great for so many reasons: a cool new job, fun new courses to teach, people to meet, but it's also very hard (especially for me) to start all over again in a new place.

But on the bright side of things, you can look for upcoming posts on the Cape Cod trip and on my new office here at Shepherd, into which I am finally settling (there's a reason for the delay--one both funny and gross).

So to recap: vacation=awesome, computer=broken, syllabi=possibly lost and possibly very wrong anyway, blog=full of potential potential posts, me=sad, frustrated, and a bit lonely. Moving and growing up is hard.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

oh heidi...I think I am going to cry. I miss you here in Richmond. Keep your chin up...and just remember...30 is a new beginning for all of us! let me recap:

You + 30 = new job, new city!! and nudy hall!
me + 30 = a whole new perspective on what I want out of life... and so much more
Allison + 30 = taking out the trash (for good!)
Jane + 30 = crazy adventures in Azerbaijan
Heather + 30 = New State and Baby
Beth + 30 = Baby
Amber + 30 = crazy adventures in Canada

wow... that is a whole lot of growing up going on, whether we wanted it or not. But, we can make a decison as to how we deal with it and I chose to make the very best of it. It is a new, and wonderful start to the rest of our lives!

Shannon said...

Ok.. me again. Mike reminded me of this prayer today and it seems fitting for some many aspects of my life and those around me and the hardships they are facing:

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Shan. You rock!