Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Provincetown

To reward myself for having completed two of my four syllabi (and remember, the other two might also be done, if they can be saved from my broken computer's hard drive), I am doing yet another post today.

On the same day that we visited the Highland Lighthouse, we also drove to Provincetown, a truly unique place that you can read more about here. I've never been there before, but Vogel had been several times for writer's workshops and other reasons, and assured me it is a great place for the arts, shopping, restaurants, and people watching. Now, of course, a large reason for all of that is because it is also a very gay-friendly town--sort of a gay mecca on the East Coast.

Vogel was right (as usual) and there were lots of cool things to see. I actually didn't take all that many pictures, but a do a have few choice ones to share.

The first is one Vogel insisted on taking of a little chihuahua wearing shades. The owner was only too happy to force the dog to pose for us, although the dog didn't seem to like it very much. Dogs (especially little dogs--go figure!) were everywhere in this town, and Vogel, being the dog-lover, kept stopping in her tracks so she could "ohh" and "ahh" over them. Pretty funny stuff.



Here's a funny coda to the chihuahua story: about an hour after we took this photo, as we were walking back to the car, we ran into the same dog and owner again, this time in a different spot, and this time the dog was wearing a different accessory--a pink baseball hat. Poor chihuahua--it seems her desires come second to her owner's desire to draw attention to herself by posing her all around town with different props.

As I mentioned above, since Provincetown draws so many artists, you don't have to look far for interesting sights. This one house had a beautiful garden with an eclectic collection of statues and sculptures that Vogel asked me to photograph. I think the statue is kind of scary, but I tend to get scared pretty easily by things like this.



You can also find "art" on the store-fronts on the main street in town. Vogel made me photograph one sign with a particularly catchy name. "Take a picture for David!" she said. That request is all kinds of hilarious.



You gotta love that the small print says "A FINE JEWELRY STORE." Awesome. I hope these three pictures give you a good idea of the town--I think they are pretty representative of its spirit--funky, risqué, artsy, and fun.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow... I think I am speachless! The last picture has really left me with no other words but... WOW!


hhhmmmmmmm....

AMT said...

I had to check this out again. The reason I didn't remember the scariness of that statue is that I didn't click on it to see it full size. Full sized that thing is freakin' crazy!!! I can't believe someone would have it near their home. I am still shuddering.