Thursday, August 16, 2007

Poe-Toaster Revealed?

I've been intrigued by the story of the "Poe-Toaster" for some time now and would one day like to go and see him for myself. Rita and I have talked about doing it--she's always up for that sort of thing. I also like to tell my students the story. I think it helps us get into a discussion about Poe's enduring popularity and allure to readers. We love the Gothic, Romantic, and creepy that Poe brings us, and this yearly ritual provides a great example of our fascination.

Now, though, it appears that the whole thing might be a hoax, made up by the Poe House's former curator. Towards the end of the article, the current curator questions out loud what difference the revelation makes. I am inclined to agree with him, at least partially. Still, it is a bit disappointing. I wonder what Poe would think of the whole thing.

2 comments:

AMT said...

I read that article earlier. I don't quite get people saying that it is a hoax. The guy who says he started it liked the cemetery and Poe, so in a way it was still a tribute. He says he started it to drum up tourism, but he still started it. If it was a hoax, it would seem to me that it never actually happened, but it did, so how is that a hoax? Anyway, I'm not so sure that guy actually started it. There are a lot of inaccuracies in his story. I wonder if he is just an old man that wanted attention and has maybe convinced himself that he started it.

Heidi said...

Yeah--I agree with just about every point you've made there. I think that's why the fellow in the end said he'll still be waiting out there next year. In a way, it doesn't change much of anything.