Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Last Cape Cod Post

There weren't many things I didn't like about our trip to Cape Cod, as you can probably tell by the tone of my posts below. But my favorite thing about the trip didn't really involve doing much of anything at all. What I really enjoyed, you see, was simply relaxing on Vogel's parents' back deck overlooking the water. The view was amazing and sitting out there made me feel so relaxed and peaceful. I spent hours on that deck reading, working on my syllabi, or just watching the boats and fishermen out in the water. Part of what makes the view so amazing is that you can see the old Stage Harbor Lighthouse, now inoperative, but still quite pretty. I do regret not getting a picture of at least one sunset, but you'll have to trust me when I tell you that they were gorgeous.

First, a shot of the back of the house, so you can get an idea of what the deck was like (and the house itself--really a lovely space, open and airy). On the far left of the picture, you can see the largest part of the deck, off the side of the house. This is where I did most of my watching and working. (And yes, I did work on vacation, but that made me happy. I don't mind doing my work most of the time, vacation or no vacation. Too bad so much of that work may be gone with the broken laptop, but that's another story...)



Now some views from the deck:



Everyone loved spending time out there, even Java!



This might be my favorite shot from the whole trip, as I feel it just sums up the whole vibe of the vacation.



In the end, this is the vacation I needed--a time and place to relax, collect my thoughts, and gear up for the coming year, one that promises to be full of excitement, work, and change.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Holy Crapola Heidi!! Everytime I finish reading one post and add a comment there is another post waiting for me to read!! wow... bad teacher is right!! poor kids will be syllabi-less on their first day of class!!