Saturday, August 11, 2007

Blogging the drive to Cape Cod

Here's the first of several posts I'll do on my recent trip to Cape Cod with my friend Vogel.

It took us about 10 hours to get from Martinsburg to Chatham. We took our time, since we had to stop for Java, Vogel's dog, several times. That might sound like a long trip, but we actually had fun. Vogel indulges my penchant for bad singing and I appreciate her interpretive dances to such amazing songs as Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" and this pretty darn awful new Bon Jovi song, "Let's Make a Memory."


For the record, Java is pretty awesome on long car trips. He gets nervous and pants a lot, but otherwise, traveling with him isn't that bad at all.

I tried to take lots of fun and interested car trip pictures, but failed rather miserably. Either A) I took the pictures too early and you can't tell what they are supposed to be or B) I took them too late and they appear to be pictures of nothing. Here's an example of each:


The first sign we saw that said "Cape Cod," but you can barely read it.


I am sure this was supposed to be a picture of something oh-so-interesting, but I was late on the draw, so it's the side of the highway. Oh well.


In my defense, though, some targets were next to impossible to catch. This one above, for instance, is of a semi-bald guy with "crazy hair" riding on a motorcycle. Vogel demanded I take a picture, but we never got close enough again. I tried. And his hair (what there was of it) was pretty crazy.

Okay--more to come later!

5 comments:

AMT said...

Nice! It's like we are on the trip with you. I'm psyched to see more.

As for your song choices...I really, really don't care for Fergie AT ALL, and I think that song seriously sucks. So, I think I will have to deduct blog coolness points for today's post because of the mention of that song. Also, I hope Mike doesn't read this, because he really, really, really likes that Bon Jovi song. However, I don't like that song either, so maybe I will have to reinstate some coolness points since you called it "darn awful." I think that may make your blog neutrally cool again.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the running tally of the coolness of my blog. That cracks me up. I hope, though, you realized I was being sarcastic with my Fergie comment. The song might have a clever hook and some catchy lines, but I always cringe at the part where she says, "Clarity...serenity..." Ugh. Incidentally, that's Vogel's favorite part.

The Bon Jovi song IS awful, isn't it? Like Mike, Vogel loves it so much. She wants me to explain what's so bad about it and I am not sure where to begin. It's just so cheesy and formulaic--like they were sitting around saying, "We need a big ballad to fill in the album, so let's go with the theme of 'memory.'"

Shannon said...

ok...so I am not all that up on my pop-music... So, I am just going to comment on the motercycle guy!! Boy, I really wish the picture was better!! I'm sure it was a sight to see!! I really love all the shots from the car!! (Remember our DC driveby!!). We were driving to Short Pump on Saturday and a cab passed us with people in the back seat snapping pictures like crazy. We were at a stop light...I don't know what they were taking pictures of... maybe I was looking really hot!


aaahhhh tourists!

AMT said...

Here's the thing about Fergie: I really, really don't like her songs. The only one that I can stand is that London Bridge song and that is only because we do a dance to it in my dance class, and it is a really fun dance where you go down to the floor each time she says "London Bridge." The Glamorous song I would like better if the video wasn't so pro-violence.

The first time I ever heard that Big Girls Don't Cry song, I didn't know who it was. It was on the radio and I just thought, "This song really sucks. What is this song?" and I changed the station but couldn't find anything on. So I kept going back to the first station and really hated that song. Then the DJ came on and said, "That was Fergie's new song" and I though, "Oh. Fergie. That's why I hate it so much." So that really cemented it for me that I am just not a Fergie fan.

I agree with what you said about the Bon Jovi song. It is just over the top cheese. I think that is why Mike loves it. He is a big softy and loves cheesey music. You can tell that he listened to a lot of Delilah in his youth.

AMT said...

Shannon--

I am sooooo jealous that you were at Short Pump!! It is still one of my favorite malls.

I always wonder what people in the passing cars think when I am snapping all of my random photos on the highways and streets. I just hope they think I am some kind of super cool photographer and not just a dorky blogger.