Saturday, June 9, 2018

"The Third and Final Continent"

9 June 2018: Finished re-reading Interpreter of Maladies again for my summer class. (We're discussing it this upcoming week.) I just went back through the blog and found all the times I have already written about her work, particularly this text. What pleasure and reward her work has brought me over the years!

Today I found myself moved by an few lines from the closing story, "The Third and Final Continent," in which a man looks ahead (while he, as a narrator is actually looking back) and sees his future with his new wife: "Like me, Mala had traveled far from home, not knowing where she was going, or what she would find, for no reason other than to be my wife. As strange as it seemed, I knew in my heart that one day her death would affect me, and stranger still, that mine would affect her." It's such a cool moment, underplayed and realistic, profound and quiet.

No comments: