Wednesday, January 20, 2016

"Remarkable messes..."

I just stumbled upon this interview with David Sedaris, focusing mostly on his sister's suicide several years ago. The interviewer, Blake Bailey, also a writer, also had a sibling who committed suicide. The conversation is moving and engrossing and just so worth reading. I found myself nodding as I read, experiencing that surprising desperation to find little moments of connection with people who have been through similar losses. Sedaris's "Now We Are Five" came crashing back into my head right after Ryan died and I still find myself thinking about it in quiet moments. I remember emailing the link to my other siblings and talking with them about it.

Every case is different, but the similarities hit right in the gut. Sedaris's sister, Blake's brother, my brother...messes indeed, but remarkable, too.

No comments: