Thursday, May 22, 2014

Early morning thunderstorm

22 May 2014: I had an awful time falling asleep last night. And just when I was really drifting off (close to 4:00 a.m.), a loud thunderstorm rolled through. Needless to say, I've been dragging a bit today.

But still, the storm was beautiful. First the winds began to pick up, blowing the curtains and dropping the temperature. Then lightening, illuminating the room. Then the thunder, loud enough to send the cats hiding (that part made me feel bad). Then the downpour.

When I was little, storms like this used to scare me. Then, when I got just a bit older, I grew to love them, starting with the time my dad and I sat out on the porch of the house we rented for a week's vacation in upstate New York. From far away, we watched a storm roll in. Sitting with him, feeling simultaneously safe and thrilled, is something I hope to always remember. 

No comments: