Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Back to school...

8 January 2014: Today I worked a first-year advising session (for students who haven't been to college before and are starting at Shepherd this semester). I had the pleasure of working with a 30 year-old student, just back from overseas, starting school on the GI Bill. He's a pretty cool guy: eager, cooperative, professional, and clearly grateful for the chance to go to college. Some (although not many) of the students I work with in these sessions have this weird sense of entitlement or, conversely, disengagement. This guy--who had every right to feel entitled to his education--couldn't have been more pleasant, understanding, and appreciative. He kept saying things like, "I just want to do well" and "I'll do whatever I need to do to succeed." The entire experience was quietly remarkable to me.

So, today I am grateful for students like him, for his service, and for a job that lets me meet and work with people like him.

No comments: