Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Buffy, Adam, and Age

Just today I was talking with a friend at work about how I never really feel "old" or that I am getting older in any negative kind of way. He more or less agreed.

And just today, I was talking with another colleague about how a bunch of her students are Whedon fans. That got me thinking about what the Whedon-verse means for them (as people in their late teens/early 20s) versus what it meant and continues to mean for those of us who are a bit older. I wondered to myself how timeless Whedon shows are.

So there's all that kicking around in my head...

Then, just a few minutes ago, I had the Buffy episode "Goodbye, Iowa," on in the background as I got some work done. The scene where Adam (a demon/robot/man hybrid) inserts a floppy disk into his chest...man, did that feel dated. More dated then anything else I can think of on Buffy, at least in terms of emotional resonance. I mean, it is an almost ridiculous image. I think I remember people saying almost immediately after it aired that that including that part of Adam was a silly and a weird decision by the writers. I think it must be because technology--specifically computer technology--so obviously and visually shows its age.

And if Buffy is old, then maybe I am, in fact, getting a bit older.

That ain't even a USB drive!

Oh well. I'm still okay with that. And again, there are all those young fans who still want to keep talking about these shows. I can deal with that, too. 

No comments: