Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dorothea Grossman

Y'all, I think we need to be reading this woman. Read all the poems at the Poetry Foundation. Here's just one...

"It is not so much that I miss you"

It is not so much that I miss you
as the remembering
which I suppose is a form of missing
except more positive,
like the time of the blackout
when fear was my first response
followed by love of the dark.

Okay--one more: this one's a bit adult, but hilarious.

"Love Poem"

In a lightning bolt
of memory,
I see our statue of Buddha
(a wedding gift from Uncle Gene)
which always sat
on top of the speaker cabinet.
When a visitor asked,
“So, does Buddha like jazz?”
you said, “I hope so.
He’s been getting it up the ass
for a long time.”

2 comments:

AMT said...

That Buddha poem is funny!!! It made me chortle.

Kate said...

Awesome :) Thank you for sharing these, Heidi! I'm with Amber--the Buddha poem is funny.