Saturday, July 11, 2009

More on Buffy vs. Twilight

The creator of that awesome clip writes about why he made it here.

Some key passages:

"As an aspiring feminist guy, I wanted to speak out about issues of sexism and gender oppression in media but I wanted to do so carefully and intentionally. That’s why I chose to focus my critique on Edward’s patriarchal behavior in Twilight rather than on Bella’s actions. I didn’t feel it was my place to lecture her on desire (even in remix form), especially since her character is already disempowered by the original screenplay to the point of absurdity. So I built each scene around Edward, and then looked for appropriate responses from Buffy. Sorting through seven seasons worth of witty dialog and dramatic footage from Buffy was a lot of fun, and telling the tale through her and her friends’ perspective allows us to understand the messages underlying the mythology of the film and the TV show in a new way – and to enjoy the process. I should note that I am not the first to make this critique of the Twilight series, nor did I invent the process of re-imagining pop culture stories. I was inspired by women who have been creating fan fiction as self-conscious creative communities since before I was born. I was heavily influenced by fannish vidding as well as by feminist critiques of popular culture, especially those of bell hooks, whose writings have helped opened my eyes on issues of race, gender and love."

But I think this is my favorite part:

"In the end the only reasonable response was to have Buffy stake Edward – not because she didn’t find him sexy, not because he was too sensitive or too eager to share his feelings – but simply because he was possessive, manipulative, and stalkery."

3 comments:

Kate said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the books. One of the remarkable things about the books (I can't honestly say that they're anything other than escape reading, but they were a lot of fun) is Bella's self-possession. She really knows herself & what she wants. I remember thinking as I was reading the first book, "she's awfully self-confident and self-aware for a 17-year-old." When I was her age, I didn't know nearly as much about myself as she does. It was honestly a lot like reading about a 30-year-old than a teenager.) These posts make me even less inclined than I am to see the movie. And I was already pretty happy to not see it!

Kate said...

Oh! One more thing--I enjoyed the books and didn't have a problem with Bella's/Edward's behavior (as frustrating as it was at times--but that's part of what kept me reading), but if I were the parent of a teenager, I think I'd have a problem with them idolizing Edward & Bella. Theirs is not the most functional relationship. But, if you're a mature adult & looking for a fun escape read and you like fantasy, the Twilight series might be a good bet. The books don't have much redeeming value other than being fun--but I can always justify reading just for fun!

Heidi said...

Hey Kate: thanks for your smart comments. I am with you on reading for fun! By the way, just about everyone I've talked to has said what you have about how insanely readable and entertaining these books are.