Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"There is a green light beyond the green light."

One last catch-up post for today, on yet another article I've been meaning to link to. This one is on Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and its continuing influence on high school students.

Some key passages...

From a teacher reflecting on why her students respond to the book:
“'They all understand what it is to strive for something,” said Susan Moran, who is the director of the English program at Boston Latin and who has been teaching “Gatsby” for 32 years, starting at South Boston High School, “to want to be someone you’re not, to want to achieve something that’s just beyond reach, whether it’s professional success or wealth or idealized love — or a 4.0 or admission to Harvard.'”

Okay--this one just made me laugh. From a student comparing the character of Daisy to a modern-day celebrity:
"As for Daisy, in Vimin’s view: 'She’s turned into an empty person. Like Paris Hilton.'”

From a recent immigrant to the United States, who realizes the difficulty of actually achieving the American dream:
“'The journey toward the dream is the most important thing,' she said. And, she added, 'There is a green light beyond the green light.'”

Sounds like a smart student, right?

Maybe I should teach Gatsby in ENG 204 one of these semesters. It's certainly short enough (a unfortunate but important consideration for this course). Plus, "The American Dream" is one of the themes I frequently emphasize in my American lit. survey classes. Of course, most students have read it in high school, so it might not be the best choice.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I have to admit that I have never read the book!! maybe I should take your course so that I can read it!! (I know, I can read it on my own...but what fun would that be!!).

Anonymous said...

Teach it Heidi. It would be interesting for your students to see if their perceptions and reactions have changed. Besides, they probably only read the Cliff Notes in high school. And Hi to all of Jane's friends!
The former English teacher aka Jane's Mom

Heidi said...

Thanks, "Jane's Mom." You are right about perceptions changing even if they are only just out of high school. I've had that experience teaching _The Scarlet Letter_ to students who hated it in high school, but enjoyed it much more in college.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with the previous author